Saturday, September 5, 2009

More on Quarrantine Island

After I did the post on Quarrantine Island a few days ago, I mentioned to the head of my department that I had visited the island. Turns out he has been involved for many years with the group that turned the island into a retreat center. He told me something I hadn't understood before. When someone on a ship entering Otago Harbour had scarlet fever, measles or something else contagious, EVERYONE on the ship was quarrantined until it was clear that the disease wasn't spreading. That two story building in the photos, the married couples housing, was for married couples who weren't sick. There were two other buildings like that one for people who were well. Those buildings were torn down, as was the hospital, which was where they put the people who were sick.

No comments: