Thursday, October 4, 2007

Dave talks about fishing

This is now Dave talking about fishing in New Zealand. I’ve been eagerly awaiting the season opening Oct. 1st, so I could buy my annual license and finally fish the world-famous trout waters here. In preparation, I visited the local Fish & Game office a few weeks ago to get some ideas about where and how to fish here. They were so helpful! The person gave me many maps and brochures with access points and directions for finding the best spots throughout the South Island. She even gave me one that points out 3 small reservoirs within 10 minutes of downtown Dunedin that have trout.

So last Monday, opening day, I fished what they call a lagoon near the beach. I caught and released 2 acrobatic trout that were about 16-18 inches, trout that I would have needed to drive at least 3 hours to find in the Seattle area. These were my first trout I’ve caught in New Zealand, and I was feeling especially good because I’d thought I’d need to hire a guide to catch anything here. I’d heard that NZ trout are especially picky and easily-spooked, so I’m really stoked to fish another reservoir around town. I took some pictures of the lagoon that show the NZ Black Swan (see below).

No comments: