Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Germany: Dannenfels, a town with Baabs

Dave's father was born in 1913 in Ohio and his family spoke German in the home. He didn't learn English until he went to school. We don't know when Dave's grandfather and great-grandfather came over from Germany, but we know their last village in Germany was Dannenfels, about an hour southwest of Frankfurt. Dave's cousin visited Dannenfels last year and told us how to find the Baab graves in the cemetery of the Protestant church there.

The Baabs originally came from France, where they were Hugenots (French Protestants). The name is very uncommon in Germany, so it was exciting to find a town with dead and living Baabs.

Dannenfels is nestled on the side of Donnersberg (687 meters, 2253 feet), the tallest hill in that part of Germany. One of the Baab men we met told us he remembers American soldiers coming around the side of Donnersberg at the end of WWII. Here's Dannenfels.


Dave's cousin Jerry told us to find the Protestant Church, and the graveyard, he said, is right beside it.



At the entrance to the graveyard, we got the idea that this was going to be fun. One of the first things we saw was a monument to the soldiers from Dannenfels who had fought in wars in the 1860s, 70s and 80s.



Dave's cousin thinks "Chev" means calvary, and "Inf" means infantry. There was monument to people who died in WWI (no Baabs there) and WWII (one Baab, see below).

  

In the cemetery, there was a grave of the family of Christian Baab.



The names listed on the top portion of this gravestone were:
     Christian Baab, 21 October 1837 to 4 December 1910
     Philippine Zepp (geb. Baab), 22 August 1866 to 26 September 1911
     Maria Baab (geb Zepp), 18 December 1866 to 19 January 1941
     Christian Baab, 8 May 1864 to 31 December 1945
"Geb" means "born." So it looks like the first Christian's wife is buried elsewhere, and his daughter, Philippina, married a man with the last name Zepp. Christian's son, also Christian, married Maria Zepp. So perhaps a brother and a sister married a brother and a sister.

Here are the other Baab gravestones we found.





The cemetery had a nice view across the plains to the north, where you can just see a wind farm in the distance. You can also see the challenge of being sure we had looked at every single grave stone.


After we had checked out all the graves (and had a nice picnic lunch on the bench in the cemetery), we discovered that the church building was open. Inside it was a banner celebrating 100 years of something, and on the banner many people's names were listed alphabetically, including quite a few Baabs.





The gravestones and names on the banner would have been enough, but there were more delights to come. We found the tourist information office, and told the man there Dave's name, and he said we should walk a little ways down the street, and Karl Baab might be home. And he was. Karl was born in 1935, and he showed us the papers his father had to have in the 1930s to prove he was Aryan. The papers list his father's parents' and grandparents' names.



Karl also showed Dave some papers related to his leadership role at the church, which Dave really enjoyed seeing.



Karl encouraged us to go down to the Obsthof Baab, a sort of fruit store connected to an orchard. There we met Gunter Baab, who is descended from Christian Baab who we "met" in the cemetery. Christian Baab (1864 to 1945) was the father of Friedrich, who was the father of Erwin, who was Gunter's father. Gunter told us that in two neighboring villages, Steinbach and Kirchheimbolanden, there are additional people named Baab. He said the name is so rare, you can go to just about any city in Germany and you won't find anyone with the name.





Gunter and Karl said they are not related to each other, at least not in the last three generations. Since Baab is such an uncommon name, it seems likely to us that Gunter and Karl and Dave are all related to each other if we could go back far enough.

Dave LOVED finding the graves and meeting Karl and Gunter. His only sadness was that his father couldn't be there with him. His father would have been so happy to see his German heritage and meet people who are probably distant relatives.

13 comments:

bclemonsphotography said...

This is Wayne Clemons. My mother was Marianne baab - she was a sister to Karl baab which you met on your trip a year ago. We live in Kentucky in the united states. We enjoyed so much looking at your blog, I searched "dannenfels" and "baab" on google and you guys came up. We were in dannenfels in 2010 visiting my family. My dad was in the air force when he met my mom! They both have passed away making my heart grow fonder to our family roots. May god bless you.

Contact me at bwc@pottershope.com if you would like.

bclemonsphotography said...

This is Wayne Clemons. My mother was Marianne baab - she was a sister to Karl baab which you met on your trip a year ago. We live in Kentucky in the united states. We enjoyed so much looking at your blog, I searched "dannenfels" and "baab" on google and you guys came up. We were in dannenfels in 2010 visiting my family. My dad was in the air force when he met my mom! They both have passed away making my heart grow fonder to our family roots. May god bless you.

Contact me at bwc@pottershope.com if you would like.

Unknown said...

My grandmother Lydia Bash was born on Neuhemsba h Germany daughter of Christian Bash granddaughter of Valentin Baab and Wilhelmina Garth son of Heinrich Barabbas and Margaretha Emig of Dannenfels I have been compiling the family history of the Descendants of Johann Georg Baab and Anna Ottilia ( ). Would love to hear from any Baab family in the US AND GERMANY. CHRISTINE RICE
'

Unknown said...

My grandmother Lydia Bash was born on Neuhemsba h Germany daughter of Christian Bash granddaughter of Valentin Baab and Wilhelmina Garth son of Heinrich Barabbas and Margaretha Emig of Dannenfels I have been compiling the family history of the Descendants of Johann Georg Baab and Anna Ottilia ( ). Would love to hear from any Baab family in the US AND GERMANY. CHRISTINE RICE
'

Unknown said...

Hi Dave and Lynn
How exciting seeing your Dannenfels Blog. I have been conducting my family genealogy for about 2years now and have discovered that my descendants came from Dannenfels in approx 1739 and settled in Indiana. We are planning a trip to Dannenfels in Sept of next year. I am wondering if u would be willing to share any tips or English speaking contacts from that area. I would b so great full!
Just a note- I see you are closely connected with the Knox Centre for Ministry and Leadership. My maternal 9th Great Grandfather was John Welch of Ayr who was son in law to John Kbox through his marriage to John Knox' daughter Elizabeth. I found that interesting upon reading your very interesting profile.
Please feel free to contact me at: hahng47@att.net
I thank you so much for considering my request .

Unknown said...

Christine Rice Harris - I have been compiling the records of my maternal grandparents corrections from before silly cellphones. Valentin Baab of Dannenfels married Wilhelmina Harth and moved to Gonbach. He died there in 1919. His son Christian Christoph Baab married Luise Michel and Christian died in WWII probably in 1915 and he lived in Neuhemsbach. Their Daughter Lydia Baab married Heinrich FUEGE. Their daughter Christa Fuege married my father Frank J. Rice who was stationed at Sembach and I was born in Landstuhl Army hospital. Since Fuege and BAAB are uncommon German names I have worked hard to find relatives. Much of my data as compiled is on Ancestry.com. I would love to connect with other Baab Descendents My Email is Christinehrrs@aol.com.

Unknown said...

Would any of you have any connections in Dannenfels which you might u might b willing to share, whom might assist me with cemetery records. Or perhaps even might take gravestone photo's for me.

Unknown said...

Hello, my husband is a descendant of the Denzer Family also from Dannenfels. His family went to Ohio from Le Havre France. Augustus Baab married Elizabeth Denzer, her father and my husband's great great grandfather were siblings. You might look about 1835-1836 to see if they left Dannenfels about the same time. We now spell our name Dencer but that is another story.
Robin Dencer

Unknown said...

SCHEDULE YOUR VISIT TO DANNENFELS TO COINCIDE WITH THE NEXT BIENNIEAL "HISTORICAL vILLAGE FAIR - DANNENFELS"

IT WILL BE ON THE LAST WEEKEND PG AUGUST 2017.

Posted by a yankee who first visited Dannenfels about Labor Day 1960, and who enjoys Dannenfels and Dannenfelsers immensely.

Bill Forester
Ojai CA

Unknown said...

WEEKEND OF aUGUST

Unknown said...

Hello.... My name is Shawn Baab. I am researching my family and I have traced them back to Dannenfels, Germany. I know that my 7th great grandfather and grandmother were Johann Georg Baab (1677-1706) and Anna Ottilia (1678-1706). They immigrated to Ohio also. My immediate family settled in the Dayton Ohio (Harrison and Butler Twp). My grandfather and great grandfather ran a garage and auto dealership in the area called Baab and Sons Garage. That was John Ulrich Sr and John Ulrich Jr.

I am looking to connect with others from my family and get some information on putting together a trip to Dannafel to see the sights. I have to say I am slightly surprised to hear that we were not originally from Germany but france! LOL

Please feel free to contact me at ShawnBaab@Gmail.Com. I would love to see some more pictures, documents, etc.

Shawn Baab

Just Jo said...

Hello

Every now and then I run a Baab search on Google to see what turns up.
I can across someone's Dannenfels blog which you commented on.

My mother was born Betty Ann Arlene Baab. (living)
Her father was Charles William Baab (deceased)
His father was Jacob Baab (deceased)
We believe Jacob was born in Germany and was a blacksmith. He is buried in a potters field in Wooster Ohio.
I do have a tree done on Ancestry with a long line of Baabs beyond Jacob all in Dannenfels.
It is good to meet you!
Liz Maynard
Cleveland Ohio

Just Jo said...

Email is liz.maynard1973@gmail.com